Ronson Leona Table Lighter, 1949


The Ronson Leona was first manufactured in 1949 in Newark, New Jersey, USA. The production ceased in ca. 1955. According to U. Cummings the lighter was named after Leona Aronson who was the wife of Alexander H. Aronson the son of  Louis V. Ronson - the founder of the Ronson Corporation.

A quite successful model marketed in many various finishes. The body of the lighter was available in Venetian bronze plate or silver plate. The enameled center section was even more diverse:
  • green enamel (common),
  • ivory enamel with red flowers pattern (common),
  • black enamel with purple flower pattern (rare),
  • black enamel - plane (uncommon)
  • corn flower blue enamel (uncommon),
  • rose (pink) enamel (uncommon).
The lower section of this table lighter is finished with a delicate ivy, berries and swirl pattern. The Ronson Leon has a Standard Ronson lighter fitment. The bottom of the base is padded with green felt. It is marked:


RONSON (R)
NEWARK, N.J. U.S.A.
U.S. PATENT PE.NO. 19,023
CANADA PATS. -288,148-289,889 
(R)
RONSON
"LEONA"

or

RONSON (R)
MADE IN ENGLAND
BRIT PAT 621570
RONSON
"LEONA"

Type: petrol (wick) lighter

Scarcity: uncommonrare

Value for very good–mint condition: $35.00–100.00 (approx €25.00–70.00)

Weight: 227 grams (0.5 pounds)

Dimensions:
  • height: 7.3 cm (2.88")
  • width: 5.4 cm (2.13")
  • depth: 3.8 cm (1.5")

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I just baught this "Leona table lighter" from an antique shop and it has never been used; still in the box. It does not spark (which flint do I use)and I do not know what fuel I should use. Can you help me be able to use it.. (looks like some kind of grey powder in the chamber where the fuel goes)my email is larrypile2001@msn.com Thank you.. Larry & Nancy Pile 727-772-5712

Unknown said...

I have this green light , I will sell for $50.00. And you pay shipping. Email me at nannaspenny@gmail.com.

Unknown said...

I have the rare black leona with purple flowers. Its not for sale. It works perfectly.

Unknown said...

I have the rare black leona with purple flowers. It works perfectl. Its not for sale.

Post a Comment